What is the difference between Part 61 and Part 141 Flight Training?

Flight schools come in two types, Part 61 and Part 141. Our locations are all Part 141 approved schools. Part 141 regulations mean that the Federal Aviation Administration regularly audits pass-rates and reviews curriculum to ensure compliance with federal regulations and induce a higher level of safety. We must have detailed, FAA-approved course outlines, and meet a high standard of student pilot performance rates. This ensures the highest level of student training possible! Part 141 schools often get students through the program with less flight hour requirements than Part 61 training, meaning lower costs for flight training and less time spent earning certifications.

Should I choose a Part 141 program even if I’m flying for fun?

Even if you are getting your license(s) solely to fulfill personal goals, you will get through quickly and cost-effectively! Any Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) or flight school can train pilots under Part 61, unlike Part 141 approved programs since they do not have to undergo the same auditing and review process of pass rates and curriculum. Since all three of our locations are Part 141 approved by the FAA, our Part 61 students will follow the same syllabus as our part 141 students. We suggest that career-minded students enroll in our Part 141 program, and our students flying for fun enroll in our Part 61 program (following the Part 141 syllabus.) This means that you will surpass goals quickly regardless of the program you choose!

What do I need to get started?

Prior to your first flight lesson (not including a discovery flight), you will need to bring in your U.S. Passport in order to prove that you meet TSA citizenship requirements. IF YOU DON’T HAVE A VALID, UNEXPIRED PASSPORT…you may provide proof of citizenship with any of the following:

• Original or government-issued birth certificate of the U.S., American Samoa, or Swains Island AND a government-issued picture ID
• Original certificate of birth abroad with raised seal (Form FS-545 or DS-1350) AND a government-issued picture ID
• Original certificate of U.S. citizenship with raised seal (Form N-560 or N-561) or a Certificate of Repatriation (Form N-581) AND government-issued picture ID
• Original U.S. Naturalization Certificate with raised seal (Form N-550 or N-570) AND a government-issued picture ID

After your discovery flight, you will need to obtain a 3rd Class Medical and a Student Pilot Certificate to begin training. You will obtain a 3rd Class Medical by setting up an exam with an FAA-designated Aviation Medical Examiner (AME.) You can find one near you on the FAA website. You will complete your Student Pilot Certificate by creating an account and filling in your information on the IACRA website.

Below are the links to complete both processes:

• https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/get/
• https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/HelpandInfo.aspx?id=6

What are the minimum non-owned aircraft insurance requirements for students and renters?

Non-Owned Aircraft Insurance Requirements
Insurance is required for all rental customers and training customers when using the aircraft for solo flight. Proof of insurance must be on file with us prior to rental or solo flight.

The MINIMUM required liability limits for Renter’s Insurance Coverage are as follows:

• Bodily Injury and Property Damage: $250,000 per occurrence limited to $25,000 per passenger
• Physical Aircraft Damage: $25,000 per non-owned aircraft

Interested in Learning more?

Get comfortable flying in cloudy and adverse weather conditions with Instrument Flight Rules Rating (IFR) training.